Thursday, May 05, 2005

Meanie Orange Fish

The mean orange fish (whose name I've forgotten...) is now in a small fish bowl separate from the other fish. I got my fish tank for Christmas and we started it out with five guppies, 3 boys and 2 girls. The girls ended up pregnant really fast, and we decided we only needed one buddha belly in the house (and that would be me.) We didn't know at the time that they pretty much take care of population control on their own. We thought that they would just keep having babies and overfilling the tank. Anywho... the orange male guppy had been terrorizing all the others since we first set up the tank, chasing them around and biting at their fins. I thought he would kill the others, and I've never been able to keep fish alive before, and I wasn't going to let the orange fish prove that fact once again. So, I didn't know what to do with him. Tony who was deployed again right after Christmas told me on the phone, "Just flush him down the toilet."

But I couldn't do that... So, I took him out, and placed him in a washed out milk carton with the top cut off. My friend Stress told me I should put him in the blender and threaten to push the button. LOL... but the milk carton is where he stayed from the end of December until about a week ago when we finally bought him a little bowl.

The bowl is now sitting right next to the fish tank, and as I've been watching him the last few minutes, I wonder if that's mean, because he keeps trying to get to the other fish. Like if he swims fast enough he could make it through the glass bowl and the fish tank's glass panel as well. And he must not have a long memory because he just keeps on trying. I've heard that fish only have a memory of a few seconds or something like that.

We bought a few more fish a few weeks ago too. Tony picked out two neat little skittish spotted fish that constantly swim around frantically. (They're the most entertaining.) My pick was a little fat, bright orange fish. We also got a chinese sucker fish, well that's what I call it. But he sucks at the sucking part... we never see him cleaning the tank. But he must because he hasn't starved yet... He's not too social either. The other boy guppies are still in there, one's blue and one's yellow with black spots.

I'm surprised that the tank is still algea free. It must of been me, because when Tony was gone it got algea overloaded... I didn't know what to do with it. But we cleaned it out when Tony got home and it's been good since. They're entertaining and relaxing to watch swim around anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home